- A suffix forming nouns of action, and often equivalent to the verbal substantive in -ing. It sometimes has the further meanings of state, and that which results from the action. Many of these nouns have verbs in -ate; as, alliterate -ation, narrate -ation; many are derived through the French; as, alteration, visitation; and many are formed on verbs ending in the Greek formative -ize (Fr. -ise); as, civilization, demoralization
- An action or process
sediment + -ation → sedimentation
- Aiton, Naito, Otani, Taino, Taíno, Tiano, Tonia, anito
- Middle French: -ationFrench: -ation
- (humorous) used instead of -ação to give the word an air of formality
enrolar (“to beat around the bush”) + -ation → enrolation (“beating around the bush”)
faturar (“to profit”) + -ation → faturation (“profits”)
- [slang] the point between international and national.
- [slang] adj., n.: short for retardation. connotation of being absurd, silly, or ridiculous.
Background: Derives from a sentence uttered in Cody Banks: "My name is Banks, Cody Banks"---- "My name is ation, Retard Ation."
- [slang] The opposite of salvation. The act of becoming unholy
- [slang] A Singapore slang used to describe doing something without carefully measuring.
- [slang] A real word that describes the sensation you feel before collapsing.
- [slang] If a vacation where you stay at home is now called a stay-cation, then a vacation where you have to go someplace awful is therefore a suck-ation.
- [slang] Shitty situation.
- [slang] A real word used in San Antonio, TX to describe the sensation leading up to a collapse
- [slang] When a straight guy is put in an uncomfortable situation by being hit on by a gay guy.
- [slang] When someone accidentally steps in poop in enclosed shoes, usually from a dog or cat.