- A suffix sometimes marking the agent for action; as, merchant, covenant, servant, pleasant, etc. Cf. -ent
- (now sciences, chiefly medicine) The agent noun derived from verb.
serve → servant
- An adjective corresponding to a noun in -ance, having the sense of "exhibiting (the condition or process described by the noun)".
- An adjective derived from a verb, having the senses of: (a) "doing (the verbal action)", and/or (b) "prone/tending to do (the verbal action)".
ascend → ascendant
err → errant.
- Alternative form of -and
blatant, blicant; flippant, old-farrant
- Many words in -ant were not actually coined in English but rather borrowed directly from Old French, Middle French or Modern French.
- NAT, NTA, Nat, Nat., TAN, TNA, Tan, nat, tan
- appended to the stem of a verb, it yields a noun which signifies the subject who performs the action of that verb (see agent noun)
- -ing; suffix denoting the gerund and present participle of a verb
jouer (“to play”) + -ant → jouant (“playing”)
- (rare) forms adjectives from words other than verbs
abracadabra + -ant → abracadabrant
- French present participles are used, chiefly in literary style, to replace relative clauses. In this case they are not inflected for number and gender: une femme aimant ses enfants (“a woman loving her children”), equivalent to une femme qui aime ses enfants (“a woman who loves her children”).
- Some present participles can also be used as actual adjectives. In this case they are inflected: une femme aimante (“a loving/caring woman”). This adjectival use is lexicalised, however, which means that it is common only for certain participles, not all (unlike English).
- Forms agent nouns, mostly from verbs of Romance or Latin origin.
liefern (“to supply”) + -ant → Lieferant (“supplier”)
- This ending is semi-productive, see e.g. Asylant, Antifant.
- -ans (rare, unproductive synonym from the same source)
- (instantaneous suffix) Added to a stem - often an onomatopoeia - to form a verb expressing an instantaneous action.
pillant (“to glance”)
- (instantaneous suffix) Harmonic variants:
-ant is added to back vowel words
-ent is added to front vowel words
- (Classical) IPA(key): /ant/,
- (modern Italianate Ecclesiastical) IPA(key): /ant/,
- third-person plural present active indicative of -ō (first conjugation)
- English: -ant
- French: -ant
- -ant (agent noun derived from verb)
kurs + -ant → kursant
- show the action of a verb or its result, -tion, -ment
maddau (“to forgive”) + -ant → maddeuant (“forgiveness”)
- (literary) verb suffix for the third-person plural present indicative/future
- [slang] Bastards that ruin picnics
- [slang] A TikTok trend that no one really knows what it means but you comment it anyway 😡🐜
- [slang] a tiktok video that makes no sense
- [slang] When something, anything happens: the ants😡🐜 In other words a facial expression of 😡🐜 as a consequence of something happening
- [slang] something that’s so bad it’s funny. originated on tiktok
- [slang] The ants is basically a tiktok trend where some girl was eating a fruit with ants and the video said “the ants 😡🐜” and now it’s practically a useless meme going around.
- [slang] The name Ante comes from Croatia and is one of the most beautiful names I could think of atm.
A boy called Ante must be the boy who makes your stommach being full of butterflies.
Ante is the boy you will fall in love with and you will start falling so damn hard for him.
Ante is attractive, he is so god damn hot, he is such a handsome young man. Ante is as beautiful from the outside as he is from the inside. He‘s got a heart full of gold, he‘s loyal, kind, honest and caring. Ante is a smartie, he‘s so clever.
Ante is the boy every girl will wish for.
Having Ante in your life is so fullfilling, he is a pure enrichment in your life that might be a mess sometimes.
You can do everything with him and nothing as well and you will have a great, no perfect, time. You should be grateful to spend time with Ante.
If you have an Ante in your life, you can call you lucky. Ante is to keep, he is to be loved hard and true. If you have an Ante in your life your life will gain in depth. Keep him and never let him go. You just got to love him bc what else can you do?
- [slang] the antisocial behavior of an introvert at a party by staying out of the way and making themselves as small as possible, with the occasional trip to raid the snack table.
The tactic is similar to guerrilla warfare or a hit and run
- [slang] Small insects that live in "ant hills"
They usually infest your home and are annyoing as hell.
- [slang] Amount of money or chips that each player puts into the pot before the cards are dealt.